Torment: Tides of Numenera is an upcoming role-playing video game currently under development by InXile Entertainment. It is a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment. The game takes place within Monte Cook's new world known as Numenera and seeks to answer one question - What does one life really matter?
The game was successfully crowd-funded through Kickstarter in the first six hours of the project's launch on March 6, 2013. At the campaign's conclusion, Torment: Tides of Numenera had surpassed Obsidian Entertainment's Pillars of Eternity as the most funded video game Kickstarter at the time with a total of US$4,188,927 pledged by 74,405 backers.
The release date was originally set for December 2014, but was later shifted to late 2015, 2016 and then the first quarter of 2017.
The early beta for Windows was released on Steam Early Access on January 26, 2016 as a pledge reward, and on June 9, 2016 to all backers of the game.
The Ninth World of Numenera has seen numerous civilizations rise and fall. With the rise and fall of these civilizations, many ancient relics did not decay and have since become resources of ancient powers. These ancient wonders are known as the numenera.
One citizen figures how to manipulate and use these numenera to his advantage, until he comes across your player.
- Major Characters
- The Last Castoff, the protagonist, who awakens after miraculously surviving a normally deadly fall, discovers sets out to
- The Changing God, whose quest for immortality led him to use numenera to build and transfer his consciousness into empty bodies. He is the sire of many castoffs, including the protagonist, whose consciousnesses emerge from his discarded bodies.
- The Sorrow, an ancient being who disapproves of the Changing God and his actions to the point of hunting him and his 'offspring' into extinction.
A cast of nine companions will accompany the Last Castoff on his journey.
- Callistege, a dimension-shifting nano who pierces realities.
- Aligern, a tough nano who fights with his demons.
- Tybir, a cautious glaive who brandishes a silver tongue.
- Matkina, a cold, calculating castoff jack who murders.
- Oom, a loyal toy who feeds on admiration.
- Erritis, an overly impulsive glaive who is as heroic as he believes himself to be.
- Rhin, a lost child who talks to gods.
- Riastrad, a shattered castoff glaive who wrests power from pain.
- One other companion that hasn't been revealed yet.
Key features Edit
- Party-based gameplay with the Last Castoff and up to three other companions, chosen from a larger pool of nine.
- Hand-crafted Crises, perilous encounters involving some sort of time pressure, that can be resolved through combat, or other means.
- The Tide system, that is used in place of an alignment system, and affect how the player character is treated, and their legacy.
- Joinable cults
- Deep death mechanic that sends the Last Castoff into the labyrinth of their own mind while their body heals, where unique creatures live, and figments of each companion appear, granting more insight into those characters than their living counterparts would share.